Monday, September 21, 2009

Diwali


With Diwali just around the corner, I feel obligated to write a post about this wonderful festival that almost all Hindus around the world celebrate. This year it falls on October 17th. Yes! Its a Saturday. Mom and I have already begun planning out what sweets I will be making and what appetizers she will be dishing up. That's how its always been... I make the sweet stuff and someone else makes the salty and spicy. So, this year on the menu so far I have: Julaab Jamun, Peda, Coconut burfi, Rasmalai, Kheer, Motichor Ladoo, Sooji Ladoo, Halwa, Lakdi Meethai, Kaju Katli, Khaja (hopefully), and again I will attempt to make Milk Burfi. Mom said we might make Gojia together since I don't have much practice with that. This will be my first year making Kaju Katli (cashew burfi) and second year attempting Khaja. Every year I attempt to make Milk Burfi but fail to make it to perfection each time. I'm not giving up though. On mom's side, the confirmed items are Samosa (ofcourse) bhaijia, mattar gugri, and hopefully saina. I'll be making my quick and delicious tamarind chutney to accompany those dishes. I am so excited. As I begin pulling out all my recipes for Diwali, I will post them on my recipes blog. So excited!

So with all that said, many people might be wondering what Diwali is. Well, you can read more about it here. I will tell you what my family does for this festival normally. We do the basics such as preparing awesome food, praying to goddess Laxmi and wearing beautiful Indian clothes. (This year, I'm wearing a Sari I bought from India during my visit there.) We have visitors come by the house and we serve all the delicious food and prasad to them. We then play with some fireworks. Not the July 4th stuff, just the basic Sparklers most of the time! I found this awesome website that sells the sparklers. You can order them here. Its alot of fun and the festival always brings our family together emotionally. One this day, all my siblings get together and we plan the perfect time to seek blessings from my grandmom and mom. This usually brings tears to their eyes because normally we aren't so nice (^_^).

Personally, I love Diwali... Its a time when family gets together and has an awesome time! Its one of my favorite times of the year!

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to ask. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ricotta Cheese & Protein Powder Pancakes: 21 Day Fix Approved Recipe

Ingredients: 1/2 cup light Ricotta Cheese 2 eggs 2 tablespoons vanilla whey (I use Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein Powder) 2.5 Tab...