Thursday, October 1, 2009

Religion

Religion: belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

That is the definition of religion I found on the Internet. Now, for me, religion is faith. It is what I believe in. Born and "labeled" a Hindu, there are many things that I don't know about my religion but there are many things I have learned and some things that I do believe in.

First and foremost, I think "my" religion is humanity. This ties hand in hand with Hinduism for me. Being a good human being. Doing the "basics" in life. You know, loving everyone, being polite and caring. Being kind to people and helping others. Being there for family and friends. These are all my beliefs.

Now there are more concentrated things about Hinduism that I do believe in. Like not eating meat. No I'm not a vegetarian but the days that I fast and pray, I don't eat meat or drink alcohol. It’s just a personal belief. I also believe in Astrology. Now that might not tie in with religion for some but for me, it does. The alignments of the stars during my birth time and what solutions and prayers I have to do if they aren't aligned in my favor. I also believe in praying in front of a sculpture. There are times when I do just close my eyes and pray but there are certain rituals and customs one must follow in Hinduism. That doesn't mean I don't pray to god when I'm not in a temple. I do, all the time!

There are many other "little" things that I follow as a Hindu but honestly, it’s not only because I'm a Hindu, and it’s because those little things are what I believe in. It is my religion. Not a pre-written set of rules that I must follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ricotta Cheese & Protein Powder Pancakes: 21 Day Fix Approved Recipe

Ingredients: 1/2 cup light Ricotta Cheese 2 eggs 2 tablespoons vanilla whey (I use Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein Powder) 2.5 Tab...