Saturday, April 9, 2011

Worm Bin!

Two bin system
Today, I went ahead and started my worm bin. I watched a few videos on YouTube and tried to learn from them. I opted for the 2 bin system and used two old sterile bins I had. I shredded newspapers and layered bin #1 with newspapers and kitchen scraps. Prior to this, I drilled holes on the sides and bottom of bin #1, as well as on the lid. I placed two bricks in bin #2 to elevate bin #1 and placed the prepared bin #1 on top of the bricks. I added some garden soil and water in bin #1 as well. Tomorrow I will be ordering my worms via e-bay. I am thinking about 250-500 worms to start off. My bins are small, maybe 15-20 gallons so I want to keep it small to start. If I like the system, I will definitely expand it and will keep ya'll posted. Wish me luck!
How it looks put together

Newspaper & kitchen scraps

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see this! You have to show those worms when you get them! I might do it later on after I see your experience!
    That s the way to go organically! Good for you!
    Wish you luck! :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes as well. I've been wanting to try a worm bin for a while now. I've always wondered if worm castings are as good as they say they are. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some excellent things about the castings and I too got a little too curious, hence the worm bin. My mom makes fun of me. She keeps saying that i have pet worms lol. Will keep updating. :)

    ReplyDelete

Ricotta Cheese & Protein Powder Pancakes: 21 Day Fix Approved Recipe

Ingredients: 1/2 cup light Ricotta Cheese 2 eggs 2 tablespoons vanilla whey (I use Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein Powder) 2.5 Tab...