Monday, March 28, 2011

Vermicomposting

This is going to be my second year gardening and I am very excited about it. I have done a lot of research about vermicomposting and I think I will give it a shot this year. Vermicomposting is composting using worms. You can read about it here and here. In a nut shell, it is the BEST organic compost you can "make" at home using your kitchen scraps and newspapers. You can also use the compost to make compost tea which makes your plants grow prolifically. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a vermicomposting kit so I think I will be making my own at home. This video was very helpful! I think I am going to follow the same design. I am looking forward to it so much. I will be ordering my worms from e-bay. Probably start with 250 worms and hope that it makes my garden flourish! I will post up pictures once I get the project started and completed.

2 comments:

  1. nice!! I would try to do it too. I have a corner in my yard, behind a tree, where I have a compost pile, when I removed it I find from 1o- to 20 worms in each showel of dirt. how much are you paying for the worms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am getting them from ebay for around $20. I think I am going to get 500. I've heard amazing things about worm castings and have seen some gardens that do amazingly well as a benefit. I will post up pictures as soon as I get it done. You should definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete

Ricotta Cheese & Protein Powder Pancakes: 21 Day Fix Approved Recipe

Ingredients: 1/2 cup light Ricotta Cheese 2 eggs 2 tablespoons vanilla whey (I use Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein Powder) 2.5 Tab...